The Elders of Magic are spirits who are the source of all magic as they gave up their physical forms to end a war between the worlds of magic and humans. They are the source of power for all the Te Xuan Ze and the source of all good magic.They are also responsible for the Magical Veil surrounding Orchid Bay.
There is a hanging gallery of tapestries in the attic of Jasmine's house explaining their history in relation to the history of magic in the show. They are never actually physically or directly seen, speaking or interacting with characters off-screen, through magic or voice.
- "Before recorded history, the worlds of magic and humankind existed side by side. Before long however, a planetary war broke out. To put a stop to it, the Elders gave up their physical forms and empowered three touchstones, which gave rise to the actual Veil, making the world of magic invisible to humans, separating the two worlds forever. One person was given the power to hold everything in balance."
- ―Monroe explaining the history of magic through the three Touch Stones and the Veil to Lila, Ray Ray and Dennis in Every Witch Way But Loose.
The elders powered all three of the touchstones, the spell for the Veil and gave a sliver of their essence to the Te Xuan Ze, as well as being the original source for all of good magic. Empowering the Protector of the Veil wth their good magic means that this power source must remain untainted by evil magic, giving reason for why Ah-Mah and Monroe do not want Juniper to practice or try evil or bad magic in any capacity.
At some point, a Te Xuan Ze named Kai Yee, became fed up with the world of magic and the position given him and sought out to destroy the Magical Elders to take their place and power, in order to control all of magic. The first time he attempted it, he went head-first against them at the Birthplace of Magic. However, the elders managed to encase him in a statue.
After the return of Auntie Roon and her lifting the Veil, they were summoned by Jasmine and Juniper and aided by turning back time itself. It is suggested that only magical beings notice the change.
When Kai Yee attempts the plan again, it is thwarted by the two current living Te Xuan Ze, retiree Jasmine Lee and her granddaughter Juniper, the newest Te Xuan Ze. Despite being at the source of magic for the first time, Juniper manages to absorb the energy there, enough to throw Kai Yee off-balance and defeat him.
Each time a new Te Xuan Ze earns it, there is an Ascension Ceremony to honor them, gaining a new rank and meeting the elders at the Shrine of the Elders.
As seen with the latest generation of Te Xuan Ze, each time a generation 'skips', the elders instead choose an individual from the next generation. This seems to be determined by worthiness and chance of the moment.
- There are eight of the Elders. All of them appear to be Chinese or eastern asian of origin.
- When June and Jasmine summon the elders in Ding Dong, the Witch Ain't Dead to turn back the events that broke the Veil, you can see eight wispy figures circling around them for a brief moment.
- Jean-Claude used to be an Elder. At what point, it is unknown.
- The elders can empower a Te Xuan Ze, but they cannot remove their power, as shown by them having to imprison Kai Yee for eternity.
- Magic Takes a Holiday (mentioned)
- Ding Dong the Witch Ain't Dead (spirits)
- There's No Mitzvah Like Snow Mitzvah (mentioned)
- Out of the Past
- Little Big Mah (voice only)
- Every Witch Way But Loose (still image only)